February 19, 2008

Putting Seed Ordering On A Diet


After a protracted absence from blogging, I'm once again at liberty to share my inner workings with the world wide web. (Or the three people aside from my husband who read this thing anyway.) During that time, my catalog plight was digitally captured for posterity. ...So much from which to choose and so little time - and money - to match my unquenchable seed thirst. (*See spilled libation to dull the credit-card senses*)

With finances a tad tight and a dogged (make that "catted") determination to encourage more reliance upon saved seed, I'm culling my seed ordering down to the barest bones. Well, some catalog's order-form bones will have a bit more meat on them than others, but I am trying my best this year to stick to the Jenny Craig School of Seed Ordering. I'm only allowing myself 1,000 calories of energy to be expended on any one catalog.

Time and sowing of saved seeds will be the true test of whether my 'seed-ordering diet' has produced a gain or a loss. When I weigh my garden success on that seed-germination-and-growth-pass-or-fail scale in a few months from now, it'll be one of the few times (make that the only time) in my life when I'll ever rejoice at having that needle tip towards the high side.

Then, I think I'll celebrate with some good chocolate. Hey, I'm not the one getting on that scale.

3 comments:

O.I.M said...

good luck with the "diet." If you are anything like me, it will be a complete failure. so hard to resist another seed packet, or a new perennial.
cheers.
Irena

Anita said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this. Seeds are so addicting. I find myself ordering more than I can begin to sow. I read seed catalogs on my way to work just for "fun". I like how you call it a "diet".

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Teclado e Mouse, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://mouse-e-teclado.blogspot.com. A hug.